CARE is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. We are known everywhere for our unshakeable commitment to the dignity of people. We currently work in 94 countries and focus primarily on women and girls as the most disproportionately affected by poverty, while engaging men and boys through our work too.
CARE’s East, Central and Southern Africa Regional Office (ECSARO) is responsible for the oversight of CARE’s operations as well as the provision of support to 11 Country Offices in the region. (For more information about our work, please visit www.care.org)
CARE seeks an individual driven by integrity, passion and innovation to take up the role of Field Security Officer for CARE Country Offices (COs) within the Horn of Africa sub-region (Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia and Somalia). The individual is responsible for monitoring and facilitating the implementation of staff safety and security protocols and procedures. S\he will promote staff safety and security awareness, support in security preparedness and management in support of program implementation.
Reporting to the Regional Security Manager (RSM), The Field Security Officer will work in conjunction with Country Office Safety and Security (SS) Managers (SSM), Advisors (SSA), National Security Officers (NSO), Focal Points (SSFP) and Country Directors (CD) within their assigned sub-region. S\he will ensure a consistently acceptable standard of risk management to minimize the likelihood and impact of potential threats. The Field Security Officer is subject to deployment to any location in Africa, including volatile locations, to assist in addressing security and safety concerns, assist in developing appropriate plans and/or provide technical assistance.
S\he assists CO SS staff to prepare for major events and critical incidents where SS is concerned; using CARE Key Performance Indicators and other tools, confirm that CARE SS protocols and operating procedures are in place, are up to date and are being used. Advise CO SS staff and RSM of any gaps; assist in investigation of SS incidents where any CARE member may be involved; Provide and participate in safety and security training for sub-regions and as part of CSU. Training may include – security awareness, HEAT, First Aid (TMAT), crisis management, SSFP orientation and any other training that might be required; Monitor that all staff are aware of and understand SS protocols and procedures.
· Assist CO SS staff in developing contextual understanding of their areas of operations as guided by the RSM and in consultation with program staff
· Provide advice on the security costs of project budgets
· Understand the operational context of the Country Offices within the Horn of Africa sub-region
· Provide reports on events and matters of interest to CARE
· Monitor proper implementation of the Safety and Security Management Plans (SSMPs)
· Monitor that effective communications and equipment are properly used and are following international protocols.
· Monitor that SS protocols are followed and respected by all staff members especially with regard to travel, medical and personal safety.
· Provide guidance to CO SS staff in updating information on SS situation to the CD and RSM and monitor closely any potential risk to the staff or assets of CARE.
· Advise CO SS staff and CDs on appropriate action during a critical incident
· Advise CO SS staff on situational report and assessment formats and procedures
· Communicate SS-related information updates and/or alerts to CO SS staff.
· Monitor any gap in logistic support and advise CO SS staff on appropriate action.
· Monitor cost effectiveness and efficiency with regard to SS logistics
· Bachelors’ degree with specialist technical training in safety and security such as NGO security, public safety, military or police training;
· Three (3) experience at the manager level in safety and security and risk management
· Experience outside country of residence in safety and security context desired
· Demonstrated knowledge of Safety and security management – information collection, investigations, analysis, assessments and reporting
· Relevant personal security training (e.g. RedR Security Management or similar training) desired
· Excellent oral and written English skills.
How to apply:
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to apply via the link below by 21st August 2018.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Applications are invited from qualified persons for the above vacant position.
We hand-pick our favorites and send you the hottest deals every week!