Heshima Kenya is a nonprofit organization based in Nairobi, Kenya dedicated to identifying, protecting refugee children and empowering unaccompanied and separated refugee children, especially adolescent girls, through our specialized shelter, education and advocacy programs. The Psychosocial Counselor (Psychologist) will provide technical support and leadership required for the successful implementation of all psychosocial support activities of the Heshima Kenya programs. She/ he will provide one on one counseling and group counseling sessions for vulnerable children, children at risk to reduce the past trauma experienced and undertake staff debriefing. The Counselor will work closely with the Social/Case workers on providing psychological support and report to the relevant Program Managers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide one on one counselling services (6-8 sessions per person) to Safe House residents with personal and social challenges such as conflict, parenting, SGBV issues, death/grief, and dealing with post- traumatic stress disorder and other.
· Provide group therapy sessions for the residents on weekly basis
· Secondary referrals to other psychosocial providers
· Provide extensive and comprehensive programmes and assessments for stress management, depression, anxiety, bipolar management and other mental illnesses
· Analyse the behavioral trends, patterns of the referred cases.
· Develop and monitor a case management system for monitoring of referred cases
· Compile counseling monthly and quarterly reports on the referred cases and provide best solutions to cases.
· Perform any other professional duty assigned the supervisor.
Skills & Qualifications:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Counselling, Psychology or a higher diploma in Counselling
• Experience in the provision of psychosocial services to refugees/asylum seekers is an advantage
• Good report writing and communication skills
• A team player with ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Ability to maintain professionalism in services delivery and ethics
Experience in case management including management of case conferences.
How to apply:
Your application should be sent to the address below indicating the position applied for in the email subject by close of business Thursday, 17th January 2019. It should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format) with your contact details, details of current and expected remuneration, names and contacts of three referees, one of which should be your current supervisor.
Ps: Please note that Heshima Kenya does not charge any fees for receiving or processing job applications. Heshima Kenya is an equal opportunity employer.
NB. All applications should only be sent through the email provided.
Heshima Kenya/ RefuSHE
P.O Box 63192 – 00619 Nairobi Kenya
Email: [email removed]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Psychosocial Counselor (Psychologist) will provide technical support and leadership required for the successful implementation of all psychosocial support activities of the Heshima Kenya programs.
We hand-pick our favorites and send you the hottest deals every week!