IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
The SAFE Initiative seeks to enable media practitioners and human rights defenders working in difficult environments to continue to do so as safely and securely as possible. This objective is accomplished through the establishment of regional centers for media practitioners and human rights defenders in Central America, East Africa, Eurasia, and MENA.
The Psychosocial Trainer, under the supervision of the Center Manager, will be responsible for the design, preparation and delivery of holistic safety training and workshops to media practitioners and human rights defenders. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
General Duties and Responsibilities:
· In coordination with the Center Manager and trainers prepare regionally appropriate trainings and workshop curriculum for East African participants.
· Ensure holistic approach and coordination with the trainers. This includes, but is not limited to, writing and presenting integrated lessons that require simultaneous delivery by the trainers.
· Deliver trainings promoting psychosocial care including risk management, stress management, basic psychosocial planning, incident management, information management and communication.
· Review and help develop and/or contextualize training material with a psychosocial perspective.
· Conduct follow-ups with training participants.
· Provide emergency psychosocial support to individuals with priority to SAFE trainees.
· Contribute to providing risk-reducing security strategies and individual risk mitigation plans to high-risk journalists.
· Assist in conducting solidarity events.
· Support program Monitoring & Evaluation by reporting on activities as required by Center Manager and in coordination with the Training Coordinator and other trainers.
· Under direction of Center Manager, and in coordination with trainers, provide input to and develop standard operating procedures for programmatic operations;
· Report on activities as required by Center Manager.
· Be the staff care focal point person, in which you have to monitor the well-being of the team and organize staff care sessions.
· Other duties as assigned by the Center Manager and Program Director.
Skills and Experience:
· Masters, PsyD, or PhD in Psychology required;
· 3-5 years’ experience conducting trainings, specifically training individuals in security or emergency protocols preferred;
· Experience working with media preferred;
· Must be open to learning and adapting training material for a holistic approach, combining physical and digital curricula and risk management as well as piloting new adult learning techniques;
· Substantial experience working in high-risk environments or emergency situations;
· Analytical capability and experience of report-writing and presenting key findings and recommendations in a clear manner;
· Proficient English required, both speaking and writing;
· Legal resident of Kenya with authorization to work.
· Tasks involve some physical effort, i.e. some standing and walking, or frequent light lifting (2.5-5 kg.); or minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of office equipment. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard.
· Extended period of sitting at a workstation or desk. Manual dexterity to work efficiently on a computer keyboard.
· Task requires:
o Sound perception and discrimination
o Visual perception and discrimination
o Oral communications ability.
All employees are responsible for their own safety, as well as that of others in the workplace. To help us maintain a safe workplace, everyone must be safety-conscious at all times. This position is performed in a typical office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. Safe use of IREX equipment, as well as safe practices while on IREX property is essential.
IREX will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments of 2008.
Applications are invited from qualified persons for the above vacant position.
We hand-pick our favorites and send you the hottest deals every week!