How to apply
1. Download the KNATCOM 1A form from the website www.unesco.go.ke
2. Complete the form and sign (Do not attach any documents)
3. First send a soft copy in word format to firstname.lastname@example.org (Do Not attach any documents)
4. INDICATE THE TITLE OF THE POST ON THE EMAIL
5. Secondly, send a hard copy to:
The Secretary General/CEO
Kenya National Commission for UNESCO
P.O. Box 72107-00200
National Bank Building, 16th Floor
Note: Only short listed and successful candidates will be contacted. Valid Clearance certificates from EACC, HELB, KRA & CID is mandatory.
Function of the Technical Programmes Directorate The Directorate of Technical Programmes is a consolidation of the five technical programmes of the Commission. These include: Education Programme, Natural Science Programme, Social and Human Sciences Programme, Culture Programme and Communication and Information Programme.
The Office of the Deputy Secretary General exists to coordinate all the above technical programmes. Specifically, it ensures overall coordination of the following functions: UNESCO meetings and events; programmes and activities implementation; management of information and innovations; ratification of UNESCO conventions and protocols; domestication of international practices; partnerships & collaborations; international resource mobilization; capacity building; joint ventures with other UN agencies; nomination of candidates for UNESCO prizes, awards, fellowships; study grants and international posts; and provision of expert advisory services to government and UNESCO.
DEPUTY SECRETARY GENERAL, TECHNICAL PROGRAMMES
Deputy Secretary General, Technical Programmes
Gross monthly package Ksh. 326,594 - 420,840 Pm
Leave Allowance – Ksh. 10,000
Medical Allowance – As per scheme rules
Group Life & Accident Cover– As per scheme rules
Contract (4yrs renewable) with service gratuity
Duties and Responsibilities
The officer will be responsible to the Secretary General/CEO for overall policy and strategy formulation and implementation of the five UNESCO Technical Programmes in a results oriented and timely manner to achieve the Commission’s goals, objectives and agreed performance targets. This will entail inter alia:
1. Represent the Secretary General/CEO when called upon;
2. Provide overall leadership and guidance within the Directorate of Technical Programmes;
3. Ensure the development and implementation of the overall budget, annual operational plans, and performance contract of the Directorate of Technical Programmes ;
4. Ensure the establishment of effective and efficient administrative structures, processes, systems and internal controls in the Directorate of Technical Programmes;
5. Oversee general administration and planning activities in the Directorate and influence procedural or policy changes to improve operations and quality service delivery;
6. Coordinate the preparation of Board papers from the Directorate and provide follow up activities as may be required;
7. Coordinate the processes for formulation of UNESCO policies, programmes, strategies, and plans and ensure their implementation thereof;
8. Coordinate monitoring and evaluation of compliance to UNESCO protocols, conventions and treaties;
9. Advise and promote UNESCO partnerships and linkages within the Directorate;
10. Manage effective internal and external office communication’s;
11. Review, interpret and advise on the recommendations of the five (5) Programme and Expert committees;
12. Advise and recommend on the official position on UNESCO related matters; and
13. Any other tasks as may be assigned by the Secretary General/CEO.
Academic & Professional Qualifications
• A minimum of a Master’s degree in any of the above fields namely; education; environmental sciences; social sciences; arts; communication or information sciences from a recognized and accredited institution;
• Possession of Doctorate degree in any of the above fields will be an added advantage
• Have served at Director level or its equivalent for a minimum period of three years OR have eighteen (18) years cumulative, relevant and continuous work experience in a reputable organization eight (8) of which should have been in an equivalent or comparable senior management position dealing with leadership and senior management responsibilities
• Demonstrated proven ability and results in heading an equivalent or comparable senior management portfolio;
• Demonstrated proven leadership capabilities in financial, material and human capital management within a reputable institution;
• Demonstrated proven ability and results in coordinating multiple portfolios of a reputable organization with a national or international character;
• Demonstrated good industry knowledge in either the education; natural sciences; social sciences; culture; or communication and information sectors including involvement with ongoing national reforms;
• Demonstrated working experience in the formulation and/or implementation of international agreements/conventions/protocols and processes within the UNESCO areas of competence;
• Demonstrated wide experience in national and/or international policy formulation processes;
• Demonstrated good international exposure in international meetings and processes
• Demonstrated working knowledge/experience of institutional partnerships/collaboration frameworks
• Demonstrated competence and experience in dealing at Board levels of an Institution.
• Diplomatic, pro-active, approachable, flexible, have integrity and commitment to production results, self-motivated, dependable, organized, professional and must satisfy the requirements of chapter six of the constitution of Kenya on leadership and integrity.
Applications are invited from qualified persons for the above vacant position.
We hand-pick our favorites and send you the hottest deals every week!