Who We Are
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. Headquartered in coastal Kenya, we have planted over 2.5 million trees with more than 8,500 farmers, making us Kenya’s largest commercial tree planter. By leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access effectively limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations – a powerful disruption to the traditional forestry model. We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including Forbes, Ashoka, Mulago Foundation, and Novastar Ventures.
About The Team
Komaza is entering a phase of rapid growth and will soon expand into new geographies. To succeed, our business support teams must also rapidly increase their speed, scope and scale of work. We need to design, hire for, and build new service departments including Supply Chain (procurement & logistics), Fleet Management (for scores of motorbikes), Business Administration (facilities & property management) and IT (hundreds of computers and smartphones). Each service function will be led by a strong, experienced manager, each growing their team and systems to support rapid growth. Collectively, this group of business operations departments will grow from 15 to 40+ people over the next two years.
About This Role
As Komaza’s VP of Business Operations (BizOps), you will be responsible for leading our shared services center to support rapid expansion of our operations. You will build a team of key managers and direct development of clear strategic plans for each department, then drive to results. This role requires significant hands-on design leadership to build systems, data structures, policies, plans, and cultivate a culture of excellence. Beyond building capacity within each department, you must also connect the dots between departments to foster the collaboration required to tackle major challenges.
· Laser-focused on delivering successful outcomes
· Strategic and analytical rigor to drive structure, deeper insight, and execution
· Flexible, resourceful, and hands-on enough to do what is necessary to get the job done
· Independent, intellectually curious, and comfortable working through ambiguity
· Highly collaborative & skilled at soliciting efficient input from others
· Passionate about Komaza’s mission and vision -- to create life-changing income for poor farmers by building a competitive, large-scale forestry & wood products business.
· MBA from top global university (or equivalent degree/work experience)
· 10-14 years of work experience at industry-leading companies in a relevant field (e.g. finance, internal consulting), with 3+ years of experience leading high-caliber team mates
· Superb analytical, critical-thinking and quantitative skills, with prior experience in complex systems design, excel modeling, and operational implementation
· Strong innovation skills to troubleshoot bottlenecks and design continuous improvements.
· Ability to retain big-picture strategic awareness while diving deep into details, and providing coaching to help others focus on key factors, rather than getting lost in the weeds.
What We Expect
You are a good fit for Komaza if you want to make a meaningful commitment to this role for a minimum of 2 years. This role is based at our headquarters in Kilifi, Kenya. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
Applications are invited from qualified persons for the above vacant position.
We hand-pick our favorites and send you the hottest deals every week!