Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST) is a leading public institution in Kenya. The vision of the university is “To be the Premier University in Science, Technology and Innovation”
The Council of Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology seeks to recruit suitable, qualified experienced, dynamic and visionary individual with excellent credentials to fill the following Positions:
UNIVERSITY COUNCIL SECRETARY - AD/02/06/18 (Scale 13)
Requirements for the Position
To be eligible for appointment as Council Secretary, applicants shall have the following minimum qualifications:
1) Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LL.B) or its equivalent from a recognized University;
2) Must have Master’s Degree in Law, Public Administration, Education, Human Resource Management;
3) Post graduate Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law
4) Be a holder of CPS (K);
5) Five (5) years cumulative relevant work experience, in an institution of higher learning, public sector, or a large corporation, three of which at the level of Assistant Registrar scale 12 or its equivalent;
6) Membership to relevant Professional Body – ICPS (K) & LSK
7) Must be proficient in computer applications.
1) Excellent leadership and managerial record including knowledge of public procurement as well as public finance;
2) Proven high standards of personal and professional integrity;
3) Excellent communication skills at organizational and interpersonal levels including logical analytical abilities, problem solving capabilities and transparent management strategies
4) Flexibility and responsiveness in determining and handling
University Council Secretarial duties and corporate communications
5) Demonstrate expertise in legal matters;
6) Strong planning and organizational skills.
General Duties and Responsibilities
Working with the Vice Chancellor, the incumbent will:
i) Manage all Council and Committee meeting logistics, attend and record minutes of all meetings and facilitate Council communications.
ii) Serve as the focal point for all Council communications and engagements
iii) Provide proper advice and resources required by Council members to discharge their duties:
iv) Maintain accurate records of Council and committee deliberations, ensuring they reflect proper exercise of fiduciary duties;
v) Facilitate induction of new Council members and assist in their training and development;
vi) Ensure that Council complies with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements as well as best corporate governance practice, including disclosures.
1) Provide guidance to the Council on their duties and responsibilities and on matters of governance;
2) Assist the Council in carrying out the following:
i) Council induction and training
ii) Preparation of Council Work Plans
iii) Updating the Council and Committee Charters
iv) Council Evaluation
v) Governance Audit
vi) Implementation of the Code of Conduct and Ethics
3) Ensure timely preparation and circulation of Council and Committee Papers
4) Ensure timely preparation and circulation of Council and Committee minutes
5) Maintain and update the register of conflict of interest
6) Ensure that Council members are aware of all relevant laws affecting the University,
7) Facilitate effective communication between the University and the stakeholders
8) Ensure that annual returns are promptly filed with the relevant authorities
9) Except in exceptional circumstances, ensure that Council and
Committee papers are circulated in advance of any meeting.
10) Perform any other duty as may be assigned from time to time
TENURE OF OFFICE
The appointment will be for a contractual period of three (3) years renewable subject to satisfactory performance and delivery of set performance targets outcomes
i) Each application shall be accompanied by a detailed curriculum Vitae and certified copies of relevant academic and professional certificates, national identity card or passport, testimonials and any other relevant supporting documents. They should also provide names, telephone numbers and contact addresses of three (3) referees.
ii) Applicants must also submit valid clearances from the following:
a) Kenya Revenue Authority (Tax compliance certificate)
b) Higher Education Loans Board (HELB loan clearance certificate)
c) Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
d) Directorate of Criminal Investigation (Certificate of good conduct)
e) Registered and recognized Credit Reference Bureau
iii) All applications should be in sealed envelopes clearly specifying the position applied for and the advert number and submitted in ten (10) hard copies addressed
The Chairman of Council
Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology
P.O. Box 190 – 50100 Kakamega
iv) Applicants must also submit soft copies of the application letter and CV in PDF (Running as one Document) to the following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org cc:email@example.com
Applications must be received on or before 24th August 2018 by 5.00pm
Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology is an equal opportunity employer. Women, marginalized groups and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply. Additional information about the University is at the University website – www.mmust.ac.ke
Applications are invited from qualified persons for the above vacant position.
We hand-pick our favorites and send you the hottest deals every week!