Human Resource Business Partner (3 positions - HRBP Kenya and HQ,
HRBP Enterprises and HRBP Regional Offices)
1 Reporting to Director, Human Resources
2 Department Human Resources Directorate
3 Physical location Amref Health Africa in Kenya, Lang’ata Road
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organisation based in Africa.
Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s vision is to bring lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems. With headquarters in Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya,
Tanzania, Southern Africa and Western Africa providing services to over 30 countries. Employing over
900 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $100 million, Amref Health Africa is a knowledge resource for donors and partners. For more information on Amref Health Africa, please visit
The Human Resources function helps create a results-based organisation by aligning business priorities with the aspirations of our staff, leading to development of an empowered, responsive and competent human capital. It seeks to provide support and advice on all human resources matters. We are therefore committed to demonstrating teamwork, excellence, accountability, integrity, commitment, and passion in all that we do.
As a senior member of the Human Resources team, the HR Business Partner is an agent of change in the department and the business at large. The HR Business Partner takes full responsibility for design and delivery of HR solutions for their areas of responsibility. Working across all aspects of the function’s remit, the HR Business Partner is responsible for the implementation and success of HR policies and initiatives.
• Building trusted relationships with senior stakeholders and leaders in the business
• Develop a coherent HR strategy for Country/ Region/ Business unit, as may apply
• Providing strategic and day-to-day leadership to drive the delivery of the business’ HR plans
• Using experience, skills and knowledge of the HR industry to make an impact in key areas such as change management, organizational design, employee engagement and succession planning
• Assisting in building strong talent pipelines and managing recruitment up to c-suite level
• Supporting line managers across the business on organizational structure and design
• Technical lead of at least one of the HR core areas; performance management, talent management, Reward, Organization design, Resourcing for Amref Health Africa and Strategic Business Units
• Coaching and mentoring HR team members
• Employee relations and oversight of the disciplinary process in area of responsibility
Skills and Competencies
You will be expected to hold a university degree, with a professional qualification from an accredited chartered institute such as IHRM or the CIPD. The applicant will also be expected to have experience in a leadership position, either as a HR Business Partner in another organization, or as a HR Manager. You will also be required to have the following:
• Communication skills – delivering the strategies of the business will require you to talk to stakeholders from around the business. As such, you will need to be able to present effectively to different levels of seniority.
• General skills – a HR Business Partner will need to be a true generalist, with a good understanding of the many different responsibilities of the function (e.g. learning & development, reward, compensation & benefits, performance management).
• Leadership – you will be working with line managers to deliver the function’s strategy. As such, you must be able to lead in the day to day operations of the business, and also on specific projects.
• Coaching skills – you will be seen as a mentor within the function and the business at large. You must be comfortable in offering advice to both your peers and junior employees.
• Strategic thinker – working closely with the HR Director to deliver and implement new programmes and initiatives, experience of thinking strategically is an absolute must.
• Industry knowledge – building a coherent and successful HR strategy will require an extensive knowledge of the trends and changes in policy that are affecting people at work.
• Performance management - provides the day-to-day performance management guidance to the business’s management personnel through coaching, counseling, and disciplinary actions. In this capacity, the HR Business Partner manages and resolves complex employee-relations issues.
• Workforce planning - creates a people plan for the business and its various departments taking into account the wider HR agenda and any specific people issues that may be existent within the business.
• Talent management - implements talent management processes for all employees in all departments within the business and provides thought-leadership on issues that may avail improved operation and performance of the business as a whole as well as the HR department
• Collaboration - teams up with other HR departmental teams in determining approaches to matters of recruitment, compensation, and other HR functions in order to ensure that the programs in place are effective and efficient. Incumbent will actively participate in HR department meetings and contributes to the formulation of solutions for the HR department, business department, and business-wide challenges.
§ Bachelor’s degree in HR or business related course. Masters in Human Resources or equivalent will be an added advantage
§ Professional qualifications in HR
• Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in HR business partnering position or Senior HR generalist in a leading international organization, last three at a similar or senior level. 5 years’ experience for the D1 position
• Multi country experience in Africa will be an added advantage
• Experience in international development or corporate sector
• Proficiency in French is desirable
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their application letter and CV to by Wednesday, 27 July 2018. Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.
Applications are invited from qualified persons for the above vacant position.
We hand-pick our favorites and send you the hottest deals every week!