SNC Lavalin's Atkins business is one of the largest multidisciplinary, multi sector engineering design consultancies in the world and is part of the SNC Lavalin Group.
As a provider of multi-disciplined technical services to the built environment, Atkins is committed to design excellence in the delivery of first class solutions which combine innovation, imagination and best practice. We operate at the forefront of transport, property and infrastructure sectors and are one of the world’s leading Engineering consultancies. Using a flexible and multi-disciplinary approach, we provide an independent service in key areas: consulting and project management.
We are looking for a Management/Project Accountant to join the Africa Divisional Finance Team, within Kenya / Tanzania, which forms part of the wider Middle East and Africa Finance Function. The role reports directly into the Africa Head of Finance, and is 1 of 2 similar roles within the region (1 each in Kenya and Tanzania).
The Africa Divisional Finance team is responsible for preparing financial budgets and forecasts for the regional projects, supporting the Project Managers and Project Directors in understanding the financial performance of their projects, and to help prepare and review the monthly management accounts for the region. The team is supported by the Middle East and Africa Finance Function (based in Dubai) and must also ensure compliance with the Group Finance Manual and provide support to the periodic statutory and internal audits.
· The Management/Project Accountant is a business facing role and will be expected to build strong work relationships with the project community (i.e. Project Managers, Project Directors, Bid / Win Work Teams, Practice Leads and Business Heads).
Core responsibilities will include
· Preparation of financial budgets and forecasts for projects along with subsequent analysis of significant variances.
· Review of Project Summary Reports (“PSRs”) with Project Managers and Project Directors along with the explanation of financial trends.
· Manage the time bookings for the assigned Sectors and review subsequent utilisation against targets.
· Preparation of periodic management accounts and participation in their formal review.
· Strong understanding of the requirements for project provisioning and best practices to follow.
· Provide support on project enquiries and bids.
· Develop strong working relationships with the Project Community and the Central Finance Function.
· Creation of bespoke reports and summarises to present or analyse financial information about projects.
· Ensure compliance with Group Finance Manual and use of best accounting practices;
· Coordinating with, and providing samples to, internal and external auditors.
· Ensure accuracy of workflow and completion within the specified deadlines;
· Ad-hoc support to relevant business improvement projects;
· Seek opportunities to learn new skills and aspire to develop within the team.
Technical Competencies (Essential)
· Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting, Fully Qualified ACCA/CIMA/ACA/CPA or other recognised Western Accounting qualification;
· Minimum of 5 years, Finance experience, with at least 2 being within an operational (Divisional) finance role.
· Good understanding of a project lifecycle and the different measures of financial performance.
· Experience in preparing Management Accounting packs and providing analyses and commentary over variances.
· Experience in preparing budgets and forecasts.
· Competent accountant with good understanding of double entry and accounting best practices.
· Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel (ability to build custom models is an advantage).
· Working knowledge of other Microsoft Office tools;
· High standard of (numerical) presentation skills;
· Excellent communication in English (both written and oral).
· Experience of interacting with multiple businesses and finance functions;
· Experience of working within a multi-cultural environment;
· Proven ability to develop strong working relationships and communicate effectively at all levels.
· Some Big 4 experience as a senior associate or above (PwC/EK/KPMG/Deloitte);
· Has relevant industry experience in Construction, Engineering or a relevant Consultancy.
· Working knowledge of JD Edwards, Hyperion Finance Management (HFM), Smart View and other specific IT systems and databased
· Initiative – Able to work independently with minimum supervision, make suggestions on best practice and improving current processes and procedures.
· Problem Solving – Can think of creative solutions to problems.
· Strong management and interpersonal skills – Able to develop productive internal working relationships with colleagues at all levels.
· Analytical – Able to analyse large volumes of date and clearly communicate findings.
· Teamwork – Willingly cooperate with others towards the same goals and objectives.
· Communication skills – Clear, concise and relevant in both the verbal and written form.
· Time Management – Able to prioritise, plan ahead and achieve objectives within strict deadlines.
· Influencing – Confident liaising with and influencing at all levels within the organisation.
· Cultural Awareness – Able to work within a diverse team and to engage all colleagues.
· Capable of intelligent debate – challenge colleagues in a constructive manner, communicate complexity clearly, avoid being abrasive or judgemental.
Salary and Benefits
· A competitive salary for the right candidate.
· Annual leave allowance.
· Medical and life insurance cover.
· Company pension scheme.
Applications are invited from qualified persons for the above vacant position.
We hand-pick our favorites and send you the hottest deals every week!