Head of Finance – Programmes
1 Reporting to Group Chief Finance Officer
2 Department Finance Directorate
3 Physical location Amref Health Africa in Kenya, Lang’ata Road
Amref Health Africa is the largest international health development organisation based in Africa.
Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa’s vision is to bring lasting health change in Africa and is committed to improving the health of people in
Africa by partnering with and empowering communities, and strengthening health systems. With headquarters in Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya,
Tanzania, Southern Africa and Western Africa providing services to over 30 countries. Employing over 900 staff and with an annual operating budget of approximately $100 million, Amref Health Africa is a knowledge resource for donors and partners.
The goal of the Finance Department is to implement the highest standards of Financial
Management throughout Amref Health Africa. Its mandate is to provide leadership in Financial
Management to all Management and Finance units throughout Amref Health Africa.
As a key member of the Senior Management Team, the Head of Finance- Programmes will oversee financial management and reporting for all programmes in the region in line with Amref’s strategy, business plan and best practice standards and regulations.
Financial management and reporting
• Ensures proper books of account are maintained and kept up to date
• Works with programme managers to ensure optimal financial performance is achieved across the project portfolio
• Works with the Senior Management Accountant to ensure cash flows are optimized and negative cash balances meet corporate targets
• Ensures that accurate reports to donors and other stakeholders are submitted on a timely basis
• Ensure that all statutory and best practice accounting requirements are met in full
• Sets key performance indicators to monitor and evaluate performance across the programmes
• Builds capacity within the financial management area
• Oversees annual budget production within the programmes area
• Ensures flex budgets are prepared in an efficient and timely manner
• Manages longer term forward planning systems
• Oversees donor proposal development to ensure that proposals comply with requirements and generate the level of recovery needed to achieve financial viability across the programmes
• Works with programmes staff to achieve corporate growth targets
• Ensures that viable strategies are in place to meet co-funding obligations on a timely basis
• Reviews financial policies and procedures to ensure they are fit for purpose
• Maintains an appropriate system of internal control
• Oversees the development of control systems across the programmes that are well documented
• Ensures that mitigation strategies are in place to address identified risks across the programmes
Skills and Competencies
• Strategic thinking
• Business /Financial Acumen
• Business Savvy
• Leadership and influencing skills
• Ability to analyze and interpret large volumes of data
• Creative and strong problem solving skills
• Ability to understand and interpret financial information and principles
• Ability to enhance efficiency of business processes through the use of technology
• Strong organizational, management and reporting skills
• Ability to multi-task and handle a fast paced work environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage well at all levels
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Economics or Commerce
• Certified Public Accountant (K)
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a busy commercial environment at a senior strategic management level across a wide range of functional business processes
• Significant experience in or knowledge of non-profit accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting
• Proven understanding of computerized financial systems
• Experience in international development or corporate sector
• Multi country experience in Africa will be an added advantage
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their application letter and CV by Friday, 27 July 2018. Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.
Applications are invited from qualified persons for the above vacant position.
We hand-pick our favorites and send you the hottest deals every week!