Title: Finance Manager
Employer: Dynamic start-up in the energy sector
About the company
We are a dynamic start-up in the renewable energy sector developing both on-grid and off-grid renewable energy projects.
Our mission is to provide reliable, affordable and sustainable access to energy in regions that do not have this today. We believe that electricity will be the engine towards welfare and growth in rural Africa.
We use an innovative solution that relies on the most efficient, affordable and sustainable source of energy: hydropower. We harvest the power of running water and then transform it into electricity that is supplied to the national grid or distributed directly to households and businesses.
We develop small hydro projects from A to Z meaning we identify suitable locations, assess the technical & economic feasibility, we then design, finance & build the power plants and remain involved in the maintenance & operations once the plant is operational.
As a rapidly expanding start-up company, it is essential to establish flawless financial processes, insightful reports and waterproof controls. We are currently looking for a Finance Managerwith a passion for renewable energy who is keen to further establish and lead the Finance, Controlling and Accounting department. As a young company we are looking for a mature, accountable and experienced Finance Manager with strong management skills. In this role s/he is responsible to drive and deliver pragmatic finance processes, spotless accounting, insightful management, board & shareholder reports, while continuously coaching and growing the capabilities of the team. Are you a pragmatic finance professional who can translate numbers into insights and recommendations? Accounting has no secrets for you and ‘smart controls’ is your middle name? Is sustainability and social responsibility close to your heart? Are you excellent in coordinating & following through and renowned for your accountability? Reach out to us with your application and motivation letter!
Minimum qualification: Bachelor’s degree in Business management
Experience level: mid level management
Experience length: min. 6 years
- Lead the yearly budget exercise with the other departments and monitor along the year
- Establish a financial and cash flow forecast as input to management decisions
- Prepare financial reports & executive summaries for the management team, board and shareholders
- Advice the management team with data to make profound strategic and investment choices
- Prepare the financials for grant applications
- Staff, coach and develop your team to be qualified and highly capable accountants and controllers
- Develop & improve financial processes and lead implementation with your team and other stakeholders. Enable the business to focus on the operations via pragmatic processes and smart controls.
- Establish, update and monitor monthly finance KPIs
- Identify gaps versus target or commitment and come up with ideas and proposals towards the management team
- Keep management informed of developments, seeking advice and council
- Ensure timely and correct invoicing and cash collection (accounts receivables)
- Ensure follow up from quote up till payment, drive smart payment terms and healthy cash flow (accounts payable)
- Supervise the accountants ensuring accurate accounting books & documentation at all times
- Ensure all statutory taxes and contributions are timely and correct declared and paid
- Provide clear regular reports to the management team on performance to budget, cash flow projections, and risk
Controlling & stewardship
- Coordinate tax and audit filings
- Install compensating controls to ensure all daily operations happen in line with our company principles & values, professionalism & quality expectations, tax and legal obligations
- Reconcile budget versus actuals at the end of each month and generate reports
- Implement stock controlling principles, processes and reporting
Skills & requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, Accounting or Business Administration; MBA / CFA / CPA preferred
- You have proven to be successful in finance oriented managerial roles and can provide minimum 2 references from your previous employer(s).
- You have at least 6 years of proven experience in finance, controlling and accounting.
- Experience in the renewable energy sector is a strong plus.
- You are collaborative, have excellent interpersonal and influential leadership skills
- You are self-motivated, well-organized, disciplined and follow through on the execution
- You work autonomously and have a strong delivery-oriented work ethic with the ability to meet competing demands and challenging timelines
- You have an eye for detail, are proactive and solution-oriented
- You are flexible, are comfortable with change and able to work in a less-structured environment
- You are reliable, deliver high quality work and demonstrate high personal integrity
- You are acknowledged for your strong people development and coaching skills
- Fluency in English is a must. French is a strong plus.
- Excellent computer skills (Advanced Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- An entrepreneurial and dynamic work environment
- Flexibility and autonomy to organize your work while meeting deliverables and deadlines
- Opportunity to grow along with the company
- Competitive salary
Responsible to drive and deliver pragmatic finance processes, spotless accounting, insightful management, board & shareholder reports, while continuously coaching and growing the capabilities of the team.
We hand-pick our favorites and send you the hottest deals every week!